Dr. Kate Brayman and her staff remind every patient that good dental hygiene is the key to healthy teeth and gums and preventing dental problems. Contact her practice, Kate Brayman DDS, in New York City, to schedule a routine dental cleaning, a thorough exam, and to talk about proper brushing and flossing techniques.
Dental hygiene, or oral hygiene, is all about taking care of your teeth and gums. Good dental hygiene is essential for being able to chew food, speak properly, and to prevent dental problems. Having a healthy smile also boosts your overall appearance and confidence.
Maintaining good dental hygiene includes several activities:
- Brushing twice daily to remove plaque and prevent decay
- Flossing at least once each day
- Eating a healthy diet with nutrients needed for strong teeth, like calcium and vitamin D
- Limiting sugary foods that cause tooth decay
- Getting a checkup every 6 months for a thorough dental cleaning
Remember that the way you brush is important. Improper brushing either doesn’t help much or could cause problems. For example, brushing too hard can damage the gums, while a brief, light brushing won’t do much good. For optimal oral hygiene, brush for 2-3 minutes, using short strokes and a scrubbing motion, and reaching each part of every tooth. If you have any questions about your technique, our dental hygienist will help when you come in for a checkup.
When you visit the dentist, the first person you’ll see is a dental hygienist, who is specially trained to provide these services:
- Examine teeth for signs of decay, chips, cracks, and enamel erosion
- Examine gums for signs of infection, swelling, recession, and sores
- Provide a thorough dental cleaning to remove all plaque and tartar
- X-ray your mouth
- Review your medical history
- Screen for oral cancer
- Apply sealants and fluoride treatments
- Teach about proper brushing and flossing techniques
- Teach about good nutrition
- Answer your questions about dental care
Dr. Brayman is dedicated to offering her patients the most advanced dental care available, and some of the latest technologies make your dental checkup a lot easier. We offer digital X-rays, which produce rapid results and enhanced images so you can clearly see where problems exist. Digital X-rays also make it easy to compare images before and after treatment.
Our dental hygienist uses a state-of-the-art device, the DIAGNOdent, that uses a laser to find small areas of hidden decay. If you need local anesthesia, we use the Magic Wand, which eliminates long needles and painlessly delivers anesthesia. And finally, we help you relax with massaging dental chairs.
At Kate Brayman DDS, we accept most major insurance plans. Here is list of some of the plans we accept. Please contact our office if you do not see your insurance provider listed. Please note we do not participate with DMO/HMO insurance.